Frequently Asked Questions
- Why am I seeing pending charges on my bank statement?
- The credit card processing company works with your bank to ensure that all online orders it approves will have sufficient funds to cover it. Therefore, once it approves your order with the Bookstore, it puts a “hold” on those funds so that they cannot be used accidentally for other purchases. Once your order is processed by Bookstore staff, the pending charges drop off your account in 1-2 business days. This procedure is not the Bookstore’s, but is one designed by the credit card processing company and the banking industry. We are not able to override it.
- When I view the books in my cart, why is the total amount listed for new books when I selected used?
- Our online system does not access our in-store inventory, so it does not know whether a used book will be available or not. Therefore, the total given is for all new books.
- When am I actually charged for my order?
- Your credit card is not charged when you initially place your order. You will be charged when Bookstore staff pulls and processes your order. The actual charge may differ from the pending charge (see above) due to used copies of books being pulled for you.
- Can I use my scholarship or financial aid for an online order?
- Unfortunately, we are not able to accept scholarship or financial aid payment for online orders. Students must use those payment methods in person in the store due to auditing requirements.
- Can I use a gift card to pay for my order?
- Yes. You must supply the number on the back of the gift card in the comments section. If the gift card amount is not sufficient to cover the order amount, the Bookstore will contact you via the email provided to request credit card information.
- How do I know if my order went through and when it has been processed?
- You will receive email confirmation when your order has been successfully placed with our online ordering system. A second email will be sent when Bookstore staff pulls and processes your order. Please take care to provide the correct email address.
Online Reservation Rules
- Reservations will not be ready for pick-up until you receive an email stating so.
- Reservations must be submitted online only. They will not be accepted by phone or in the store.
- Orders must be picked up within 5 business days after the first day of class or within 5 days of the pick-up confirmation email being sent (whichever is later).
- Orders placed after May 1 (summer) and July 14 (fall) are typically ready for pick up within 2 business days; but may take longer during peak times and if items are out-of-stock.
- Reserved textbooks not picked up within the allotted time period will be re-shelved, and your credit card will be refunded the cost of
the textbooks, minus a $25 re-stocking fee. Some orders may not be refunded.
- Reservations processed after the last day to return course materials will not be refunded .
- Picture ID is required at the time of pick-up.
Online Shipment Rules
- Anything shipped after August 22nd is not guaranteed delivery by August 27th
- In-stock orders ship within 2 business days.
- Orders may be held until all items are available to ship.
- Orders may ship incomplete if all books will not arrive before classes begin.
- Your card will NOT be charged until your items are shipped.
- Shipping is a flat non-refundable fee of $9.99 per order.
- No delivery to on-campus locations or P.O. boxes. Orders with an on-campus ship-to address or
P.O. Box will be automatically canceled without notice.
- Any refunds or exchanges of online orders must be completed in person at the Bookstore or mailed at the purchaser's expense.
Shipping Fees & Rules
- Shipping fees for online orders are charged per shipment as indicated below and are not refundable:
- Textbooks and Course Materials: $9.99
- General Merchandise: $9.99
- Computers: $25.00
- Diploma Frames: $25.00
- Gift Cards: $0.00 (after promo code "giftcard")
- Orders with shipping addresses outside of the USA will not be processed.
- Orders shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, and US territories will incur extra postage (call 410-455-2695 for details).
- Book Experience shipping applies to single copy orders of the New Student Book Experience. Non qualifying orders will ship UPS and be charged the regular rates.
- Computer shipments require an adult signature on delivery.
- UMBC Bookstore reserves the right to use alternative carriers for shipping.
Methods of Payment
The Bookstore accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover for online orders.
Students using financial aid are required to present their University ID in person and cannot use those funds to order online.
Sales & Promo Codes
- Online promo codes cannot be combined with other sales and offers.
- Limit one promotional code per order.
- Some promo codes require registration.