Renting Course Materials at UMBC Bookstore
Renting textbooks means paying a lower 'rental fee' upfront and returning the materials at the end of the semester. Renting can be a great way to save money; but remember that keeping the books or selling them at buyback are not options for rented materials.
Rented materials are due back to the Bookstore before the close of business day on the last day of final exams.
Fall 2015 | December 18
They are to be turned in at the counter on Main Street during Buyback. Click here to see dates and times.
- Current UMBC ID required.
- Student must be 18 years old or older.
- Must be able to return materials by the due date.
- All rentals are for one semester.
- By renting, customers are bound by the 'Rental Agreement' which may be found here as well as in the store.
- Textbooks must be free from any damage, including liquid stains, upon return.
- Highlighting and cribbing is acceptable as long as it is not excessive.
- Failure to return the book in acceptable condition before the due date will result in a charge to the customer's University Account for the replacement price of the book.
- Currently the replacement price is equal to the new retail purchase price minus the rental price.
What Can Be Rented
Course materials may be rented when a rental price is listed next to the item on the online textbook list or on the shelf tags in the store. See the example below. If a rental price is not given, that item may not be available to rent. UMBC Bookstore currently has over 1000 titles available as rentals.