Renting textbooks means paying a lower 'rental fee' upfront and returning the materials at the end of the semester.
Renting can be a great way to save money; but remember that keeping the books or selling them at buyback are not options for rented materials.
All rental books must be returned to us no later than Friday, December 18th by 3pm.
Students have two options for returning rental books to us, as outlined below:
OPTION ONE - In-person drop off:
1) Bring your rental book(s) to us at the Bookstore.
2) Drop off will ONLY be available from Monday, December 7th - Friday, December 18th (Mon-Fri only) from 11am to 3pm.
3) Rental books should be returned at the lower level entrance of the Bookstore (next to Dunkin).
OPTION TWO - Mail in:
1) Ship your rental book(s) to us at the following address:
Attn: Rental Book Return
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, MD 21250
2) Make sure you include within your shipment a note with your name, contact info (email and/or phone number), and your Student ID.
3) We recommend UPS as the delivery method as we get daily shipments from them. You may also use USPS, but please note that this will delay the Bookstore's receipt of your items since they will have to be routed first to the campus mailroom.
4) Shipments must be received by the Bookstore by the 12/18 deadline.
Please email [email protected] with any questions.
Rented materials are due back to the Bookstore before the close of business day on the last day of final exams.
Fall 2020 | December 18th
Summer/Winter materials are to be turned in at the Textbook Desk by 4pm.
Fall/Spring materials are to be turned in at the Buyback counter located on the bottom level of the Bookstore. Click here to see dates and times.
- Current UMBC ID required.
- Student must be 18 years old or older
- Must be able to return materials by the due date
- All rentals are for one semester
- By renting, customers are bound by the 'Rental Agreement' which may be found here as well as in the store.
- Textbooks must be free from any damage, including liquid stains, upon return.
- Highlighting and cribbing is acceptable as long as it is not excessive and workbooks cannot be filled in.
- Textbooks must have no missing pages or covers and looseleaf books must include both the front and back covers.
- Failure to return the book in acceptable condition before the due date will result in a charge to the customer's University Account for the replacement price of the book.
- Currently the replacement price is equal to the new retail purchase price minus the rental price.
What Can Be Rented
Course materials may be rented when a rental price is listed next to the item on the online textbook list or on the shelf tags in the store. See the example below. If a rental price is not given, that item may not be available to rent. UMBC Bookstore currently has over 1000 titles available as rentals.