Spring 2020 Semester Update:
The deadline to return rented course materials is Friday, July 10th.
We are working with our shipping partners to ensure that students will not have to drive to campus or pay for shipping to return their rental books. Pre-paid shipping labels have been sent to students via their UMBC email address.
Please contact [email protected] if you did not receive an email or if you have any questions.
Renting textbooks means paying a lower 'rental fee' upfront and returning the materials at the end of the semester.
Renting can be a great way to save money; but remember that keeping the books or selling them at buyback are not
options for rented materials.
Rented materials are due back to the Bookstore before the close of business day on the last day of final exams.
Spring 2020 | July 10th
Summer/Winter materials are to be turned in at the Textbook Desk by 4pm.
Fall/Spring materials are to be turned in at the Buyback counter located on the bottom level of the Bookstore. Click here to see dates and times.
- Current UMBC ID required.
- Student must be 18 years old or older
- Must be able to return materials by the due date
- All rentals are for one semester
- By renting, customers are bound by the 'Rental Agreement' which may be found here as well as in the store.
- Textbooks must be free from any damage, including liquid stains, upon return.
- Highlighting and cribbing is acceptable as long as it is not excessive.
- Failure to return the book in acceptable condition before the due date will result in a charge to the customer's University Account for the replacement price of the book.
- Currently the replacement price is equal to the new retail purchase price minus the rental price.
What Can Be Rented
Course materials may be rented when a rental price is listed next to the item on the online textbook list or on the shelf tags in the store. See the example below. If a rental price is not given, that item may not be available to rent. UMBC Bookstore currently has over 1000 titles available as rentals.